Keys for Recovering Quickly from Water Damage
If you’re the type that freezes in an emergency or stressful situation, you are not alone! That is one of the reasons Champion Cleaning Systems has this blog … to help you be prepared for anything that might happen to your Peachtree home or business. A flood or water damage situation is certainly included in that! No matter how bad the water damage is, or how deep into your walls it has gone, it is fixable! Plus, if there is mold present, it can be completely removed and your family will breathe safely again.
However, there is a caveat to all of that. The longer you wait to call in a professional restoration company for help, the longer it will take to repair the damage … and the more damage there likely is within the structure. Here’s why:
- Mold growth happens quickly when building materials are exposed to moisture. Some experts say it happens in as little as 24 to 48 hours. If not properly treated, the mold could spread. Think about roof leaks especially after heavy rains, leaky windows and doors, leaking pipes, sewer backups or overflows, damp basements and crawl spaces, condensation on cold surfaces like basement walls, and the list goes on and on. Standing water from a flood can also cause mold growth if it is not quickly dried and properly cleaned.
- Bleach does not properly get rid of mold. You cannot kill mold in that sense because dead mold spores are just as dangerous as live ones. The mold can be toxic in both forms. Mold must be removed, and again, the longer it sits and grows, the bigger the problem becomes. There are very effective chemicals, antimicrobials, and other products used during the mold removal and remediation process to ensure that all spores are gone for good, and not going to grow back in the same place, or elsewhere.
- Water can seep deep into wall cavities and create pockets of saturation.
- Those pockets could remain unseen for a long time. However, just because you don’t see visible evidence of water damage, know that damage is likely being done to drywall, wood, or whatever other substance it might be sitting on.
- Just because the cause of the water damage is stopped, such as re-caulking the door wall we mentioned above, doesn’t mean there hasn’t been water penetrating at that spot for a while and other damage could be lurking within the wall.
The key to recovering quickly from any damage to your property, be it from water, fire, a falling tree, or mold, is having a reputable, highly-trained, and highly-recommended restoration company on your side who will start work immediately, and work as quickly as possible to restore your home to its pre-loss condition. The longer you wait, the more damage there will be.
Champion Cleaning Systems is just a phone call away!