Preventing Fire Damage from Candles this Valentine’s Day

Fire Damage Peachtree City, Fire Damage Repair Peachtree City, Fire Damage Cleanup Peachtree CityValentine’s Day is approaching and you know what that means? Chocolates, teddy bears, flowers, and other gifts for/from your significant other… okay, I’ll admit, I’m not big on the whole “Valentine’s Day gifts” thing like a lot of people are. However, I do love a romantic candlelit dinner, or even a candlelit bubble bath if I don’t have a person to share Valentine’s Day with. However, no matter how much I love candles, they do pose a few fire hazards. If a house fire occurs from candles in the home, contact a professional fire damage restoration team that can safely restore your property.

Before you light those candles to set the mood, freshen up on these candle burning safety tips!

  • Remove all packaging before lighting. Any left packaging can easily catch fire and create a huge problem
  • Place on a protected, heat-resistant, dry surface, away from anything that can catch fire, and absolutely keep out of reach of children and pets. Use holders designed for the particular candle style.
  • Keep wick(s) trimmed to 1/8 inches at all times. Long wicks can throw embers and start an unwanted fire.
  • If smoking occurs, blow the candle out. Trim wick(s), remove trimmings and re-light.
  • Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches, or any combustible material. Keep the wick centered.
  • Avoid burning candles in drafts.
  • Never leave burning candles unattended. Keep them within sight at ALL times.
  • Keep all matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
  • Teach everyone in the family the rules of safe candle use.

Not all candles are created equal, some candles are actually better than others for the indoor air environment. Here’s how:

Most candles are made of Paraffin wax, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene when burned (both are known Carcinogens). In fact, the toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as those found in diesel fuel fumes!

Additionally, “petro-soot” from paraffin candles gives the same soot as the exhaust for the diesel engine and is considered just as dangerous as secondhand smoke, causing problems from headaches to lung cancer. Paraffin fumes have been found to cause tumors in the kidneys and liver land animals. Shocking right??? I know! That is why I had to not only share tips to help prevent a possible smoke or fire damage, I want to help your indoor air quality also!

So what’s the better choice you ask?

Beeswax! Beeswax candles give off the warm glow of candles without the toxic effects! Some studies even show that they are not only safe for the indoor air but possibly help clean it! Gotta LOVE that!!!

A few years ago I had heard that soy candles were a safer alternative but it turns out most of them are genetically modified and maybe not the best choice. If you are making them yourself, depending on what you are using, you are probably okay!

So burn safely my friends! Follow these prevention tips and get your romantic Valentine’s Day started!

Remember: even if you follow all of these prevention tips to a “T”, accidents do happen. If faulty candle burning occurs and a fire disaster strikes, don’t hesitate to call Champion Cleaning Systems to ensure that it is completely and properly cleaned up.